Social settings can be quite draining for introverts. They might find other people’s energy too intense, too high or vibrant, or even too loud. All of this can add up and take an enormous toll on their nervous system. Researchers suggest that introverts and extraverts naturally differ when it comes to their alertness and responsiveness to a given environment. A substance or scene that overstimulates the central nervous system of an introvert (which doesn’t take much) might cause him or her to feel overwhelmed and exhausted, rather than excited and engaged. Therefore, being near other people’s energy when it is very strong can deplete an introvert even if the introverted one is in the corner of the room away from everyone else.
Tapping, of course, is a way to calm the body and can be used prior to going into a situation in which other people’s energy might be strong, or after an event is over and you are exhausted. Here are some example Setup Statements and Reminder Phrases for shaking off energy that is not your own:
- Setup: Even though I’m affected by ____’s [insert name] extreme energies, I accept myself for who I am.
- Reminder Phrase: Releasing ____’s extreme energy.
- Setup: Even though I might be taking this person’s energy personally, it’s about his/her issues, not mine.
- Reminder Phrases: Not my issue; letting go of their energy.
- Setup: Even though I can feel ____’s energy in the room and it affects me negatively, I completely accept myself.
- Reminder Phrases: Releasing ____’s energy; taking it personally; deeply affected.
- Setup: Even though ____ [insert name] constantly overwhelms me when I’m with him/her, I completely love and accept myself for feeling this way.
- Reminder Phrases: Shaking off ____’s energy; overwhelmed; drained.
To help counteract feelings of overwhelm, try these statements. Remember to rate your level of overwhelm before you begin (0 to 10) and also personalize the words to fit your exact situation.
- Even though I feel paralyzed and overwhelmed by ____, I deeply and completely love and accept myself anyway.
- Even though I’m totally overwhelmed by ____, I choose to accept and respect who I am and how I feel.
- Even though I feel totally depleted and this makes me want to retreat, I choose to love and accept exactly who I am and where I am on my journey.
- Eyebrow: I feel totally overwhelmed right now.
- Side of Eye: I can’t seem to deal with anything right now.
- Under the Eye: I don’t know how I am going to get over this.
- Under the Nose: I feel overwhelmed and worn out.
- Chin: I don’t know how to calm down.
- Collarbone: I feel exhausted and overwhelmed right now.
- Under the Arm: I can’t cope.
- Top of Head (TH): I want to retreat.
Some great resources here:
A wonderful site full of blogs and resources for introverts: http://highability.org/the-gifted-introvert
Website of Dr. Susan Cain, author of Quiet: https://www.quietrev.com
Dr. Elaine Aron’s work on highly sensitive people: http://hsperson.com
EFT for Introverts – Peta Stapleton & Celina Tonkin – https://www.amazon.com/EFT-Introverts-Peta-Stapleton/dp/1604152702